Tips for Getting in Shape
Yes this is even for beginners! Everyone can make progress, NO ONE is in perfect shape. And you have to start somewhere, even if it’s at the bottom. The longer you wait, the harder it’s going to be. Even the biggest, baddest dude in the gym was a beginner once.
Here are Trainer Scott’s tips for working on your fitness;
- Be safe – your goal here is get in better shape, i.e. lose body fat, add muscle, tone your body, etc, so the last thing you want to do is hurt yourself. Check your ego at the door and start slowly. Get good warmups in. And cool downs!
- Make realistic goals and DO NOT get discouraged – starting at the gym sucks. Being out of shape sucks. These are facts. Yes, I know how it feels. You’re unmotivated, you know it’s going to be uncomfortable and painful. And it is. It’s hard to get the ball rolling. You know that. Now, act accordingly. Set yourself up for success. Make a realistic goal. Get a calendar out, mark down two to three times a week for a month. Once, you get through that, I guarantee it will be easier to go and you will be in much better shape.
- Do something! – instead of sitting around and reading tons of articles, watching videos, and trying to decide which is the best program or workout, get off your butt and go do something, anything. Get on the treadmill, go for a walk or run, do some pushups or squats. Start burning calories, start losing fat, and begin to feel energized.
- Stick to the plan – find a way to get and stay motivated, whether it’s a photo of you or someone else in shape, fitting into some old clothes, or listening to music, find anything that keeps you going and interested in fitness. If you get bored or hate your gym, find another one. Find a fitness class or personal trainer to keep you motivated and hold you accountable.
People are always looking for an insider tip or secret to getting in shape, I wrote about it here
Check out these personal training deals to get you started. Sometimes in life you just gotta show up. Deals
I know it. You know it. Even your mom knows it (she called me).
So let’s get started. Think back to the last time(s) you tried to get in shape and lose weight. How successful were you? What made you fall off the wagon? Congratulations, you already know what “get in shape” method doesn’t work for you.
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Unless you’re insane, don’t try to get in shape the same way you did last time…it’ AIN’T gonna work! If you counted calories, ran on a treadmill, did kickboxing, tried starving yourself, or whatever, and you’re not happy with the results, it’s time to try something new.
May I recommend the Nerd Fitness method of success: the Triforce of Winning! Well, I just came up with that title, but now that’s what I’ll call it henceforth. If you want to succeed at changing your life, you need three things:
- Education: know HOW to get in shape
- Inspiration: know WHY you’re getting in shape
- Support: having others help you along the way to get in shape